Thursday 16 July 2015

3D VS 2D

I find that with games I’ve played majority of the games have been within a 3D setting. But as I think about it more there is no biased towards either 2D or 3D games in terms of what made me want to play a game. I don’t judge a game on whether I want to play it by its dimensional setting. I judge it by a plethora of separate factors. But in the 2D and 3D constraints I do see an individual set of pros and cons. The simplicity of a 2D game works for and against it with a player being immersed into the environment much quicker with 2D games more “pick up and play” mechanics. But these “pick up and play” mechanics are almost a restriction as the said mechanics are hard to make challenging without being tedious, but often these guaranteed playable mechanics are what entices someone to play. But this guarantee can’t be so solid filled in that of a 3D game. In terms of progressive mechanics within 2D and 3D mediums, 3D definitely comes out superior. The 3D platform has a greater potential for diversifying mechanics which I think has happened. But this also makes for a large hit or miss potential. Also with the incorporated 3D aspect of a game the camera has to be an added feature. If a 3D game drops the ball on their camera mechanics the game becomes extremely monotonous and definitely makes and breaks some games. Because camera mechanic is exactly that. Another mechanic in the game. And as the most predominant aspect of their game this mechanic is just as or more important than all the others. In terms of game immersion a 2D game sets up and creates a world much quicker for the player and allows for more of an unrealistic environment but also sets restrictions for environments that can never really be realistic. Whilst in a 3D medium the environments are much more realistic and complex in their mechanics which means a player can take longer to immerse themselves in a 3D model game but will find a deeper immersion when they do. Anyway that’s my 2 cents. All opinion based of course. But in general I think 2D and 3D mediums both make amazing games I love to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment