Sunday 19 July 2015

Ludo narrative Resonance/Dissonance

To be honest I'm not exactly sure what the meaning of ludo narrative resonance and dissonance is. But I am going to assume it is the relationship between  a narrative within a game and the game play within that environment. Whether they resonate or dissociate. When this topic first came up and I thought of ludo narrative resonance/dissonance in this way I thought of the first article we had to look at during week one on a review of "Battlefield: Hardline" featured here:

(http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/03/battlefield-hardline-reviewcop-out.html)

And a particular game play aspect that I thought slotted in as ludo narrative dissonance in that as a cop you could take on a less violent approach in restraining enemies and cuffing them instead of killing them. This rewarded you by giving you extra experience for being a good cop and conserving lives. I know what you're thinking "But Brodie this creates ludo narrative resonance." But ultimately with these level ups you just received add on's to improve upon your lethal weapon load outs therefore creating ludo narrative dissonance as being the "good cop" only improved upon how lethal you could be a component relevant to being a "bad cop" making that approach more "funner" in terms of variable game play. So although yes ludo narrative resonance was made through being rewarded for being a "good cop" those rewards only made you better at being the "bad cop." Which leads me to believe that ultimately its a case of ludo narrative dissonance.

So then hopefully this examples helps to clarify my understanding of ludo narrative resonance and dissonance and that I can apply it correctly through analysis.

No comments:

Post a Comment